Marian Centre came to this city in 1955. At that time men were coming into Edmonton, looking for employment, from all over the country. Many found themselves without work and in need of food and clothing. At the invitation of Archbishop John H. MacDonald, Madonna House sent Dorothy Phillips to beg funds, material, and volunteer help. The people of the Archdiocese of Edmonton responded generously. A building was located and renovated, and eventually, the present Marian Centre was built.